In today’s episode, we chop it up with Joe Faulkner, the founder of The Krio Kanteen, a West African food pop-up that specialises in Sierra Leonean food.
Ingredients for today’s show include “menu items from Joes last Supper Club” e.g. Rice Akara, Plasas – Cassava Leaf Sauce & more. We get a tip on following in Joe’s footsteps & “We hear a story about when cooking chicken for a supper club, didn’t go to plan.”
- An introduction to Joe Faulkner and The Krio Kanteen.
- We touch on the negative portrayal of the African experience and why it’s important to change the narrative.
- What makes The Krio Kanteen supper clubs special.
- Why The Krio Kanteen is choosing to spread outside of London.
- Sierra Leonean Coconut Biscuit (Coconut cake).
- We talk about the menu from Joes last Supper Club.
- Rice Akara (Salone Style Banana Fritters) with sweet pepper sauce – We talk about its possible Nigerian origins.
- The religion of food.
- The origins of Jollof Rice.
- Leaf Stews and Plasas in Sierra Leone – Cassava Leaf Sauce.
- Is it important for cooking to be authentic?
- Are we spoilt for choice with African food in London?
- Best place to find African food in London.
- How social media has shaped The Krio Kanteen.
- Joe tells us a story about his first supper club.
- Joe talks about how he learned to cook.
- We get a tip on following in Joe’s footsteps
- We hear a story about when cooking chicken for a supper club, didn’t go to plan.
- Is the food Joe eats at home, the same as what he cooks for customers.
- We hear more about The Krio Kanteen team.
- VNV Live – Wedding Services.
- The future goals for The Krio Kanteen.
- Cinnamon & plantain cupcake with Clotted Cream & Mango.
- Eating really heavy food in Sierra Leone.
Tweet #BlackFoodTales to discuss the show on Twitter.