Lawrence Gomez is the founder of PAPA L’s Kitchen and a pioneer of modern African cuisine. Lawrence has a passion for creating unique dining experiences, while combining the exotic ingredients and flavours of Africa with cuisine from around the world.
Ingredients for today’s show include a pinch of food history surrounding benachin. We’ll be exploring if it’s important to cook food traditionally, and we talk about creativity and competition in the industry.
View this post on Instagram
“Shorty got a new flame” 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 @chrisbrownofficial Click the link in my bio to book your tickets for @papa_ls_kitchen 👨🏿🍳” African Fusion Vegan Tasting Menu” 📍 @hydekensington 📆Wednesday 21/2/18 ⏰ 6.30pm-10.30pm . . . . . . . #chef #fire #food #vegan #vegtables #flame #kitchen #cantstopwontstop #letsgo #chrisbrown #usher #music #london #londonfood #foodblogger #instafood #work #passion #vegetarian #lovewhatyoudo #followme #blackexcellence #🔥
- An introduction to Lawrence Gomez & Papa L’s Kitchen
- What Lawrence is passionate about
- African fusion cuisine concept.
- How food can open a conversation.
- Introducing food to new people.
- Papa L’s tasting menu.
- What is a posset?
- The rules of fusion cooking.
- How Lawrence plans his recipes.
- What it means to be a real chef.
- Lawrence discusses his Gambian origins.
- The discipline of being a chef.
- Is it important to cook traditionally?
- Presentation and plating of Afro-Caribbean food.
- Dating and food
- Why it’s important for men to be able to cook.
- We find out if Lawrence writes down his recipes, and if you should?
- The history of benachin & jollof rice.
- Who makes the best Jollof (does it really matter?)
- Why there is not an abundance of big African or Caribbean restaurants on the high street in London.
- Creativity and competition in the industry.
- How Lawrence got into the food industry and the IVY Restaurant in London.
- Dealing with disrespect in the kitchen.
- Maintaining a relationship while you are a chef.
- Rapid fire questions.
- Dish of the week.